Daily Compliance Item- 5.13.15- Graduate Transfers and Summer Activities

Blind Side is a football student-athlete that just graduated from Bay State College. Blind is transferring to Ocean State University (OSU) and wants to participate in summer activities with his new teammates.  Does Blind have to enroll in summer school at OSU in order to participate?
No.  NCAA Staff Interpretation- 5/15/14-  Graduate Transfer Student-Athlete’s Participation in Summer Athletic Activities (I) – states that an incoming four-year transfer student-athlete may participate in summer athletic activities without being enrolled in summer school prior to initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution, provided:
(a) The individual has graduated from his or her previous institution;
(b) The individual has been accepted for enrollment as a graduate student at the certifying institution; and
(c) The individual has signed the certifying institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid or the institution has received the individual’s financial deposit in response to the institution’s offer of admission.
  [References: NCAA Division I Bylaws 13.02.12 (prospective student-athlete); (exception — after commitment) (admission); (summer athletic activities) (basketball); (football); (exception to summer school enrollment — academic requirements — basketball and football); and (application to transfer student-athletes) and a staff interpretation (3/15/13, Item No. a)]
Jennifer M. Condaras 
Associate Commissioner
BIG EAST Conference

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s